Writers

Thursday, September 24, 2009

Westmalle Dubbel

This is the first beer I've tried from Westmalle. Fonnie has tried and reviewed this already so this was more for my benefit. It's a classic Dubbel beer and Fonnie rated it highly so I figured I'd give it a shot.

It poured out a very dark brown color. It was very opaque and it had a slight residue floating around. It also had a nice, frothy, cappuccino-like head. It smelled a little sweet and there was a nice bouquet of hops as well. It tasted a little sweet but it also had a nice, full malt flavor. Also, it seemed a little bitter, which surprised me (these types of beers tend not to be bitter). It seemed very smooth and it had a nice, warming feeling as you drank it. It also seemed a bit carbonated, also a little strange for this beer.

I'll admit, I'm probably going to have to re-review this. I was a little sick when I had it so my sense of smell and taste were extremely off their game. It didn't impress me that much. Also, Fonnie said that out of the 750mL it tasted much less bitter than our of the 12oz bottle we had. I hope we get our hands on this another time so I can do a proper review with all my senses in check.

Appearance - 4
Smell - 3.8
Taste - 3.8
Texture - 3.9
Overall - 3.88/5

No comments:

Post a Comment