Writers

Thursday, May 10, 2012

Surly Darkness 2011

Here is a little throwback to a tasting from a few months ago that I thought was worth sharing. I recently was able to obtain a vertical of Surly Darkness 09'-11'. I decided that the 11' was easy enough to get that it was worth trying right away to see how the brew was fresh.

Pour is pitch black (the name doesn't lie) with an extremely thin creamy tan head. Aroma is very sweet - malted barley, caramel, dark chocolate, and roasted coffee. The flavor is somewhat cloying with hints of over ripe fruit, candied sugar, and chocolate. Probably much better with age. I think I will stick to aging these for at least a year after attempting this.

Appearance - 3.9
Smell - 3.8
Taste - 3.9
Texture - 3.5
Overall - 3.78/5

No comments:

Post a Comment