Writers

Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Chimay Red

Although being rated in the middle of the pack, this was probably one of my favorite Chimay beers. When I poured it out into the glass, the subtle brown tint and fine film reminded me of iced tea. It also had a slight golden tint to it. The beer itself is pretty opaque and formed a pretty minimal head in my glass (But when Fonnie tried it, it produced a very hearty off-white head). This beer had a very large bouquet of fruit in the smell. It was overall pretty citrus-y with a mix of orange and lemon smells in it as well as a small hint of the hops in the beer. Once I tasted it, the smell of the fruit obviously right. It produced a slightly woodsy taste to it (almost reminiscent of cedar). It also had an aftertaste of the hops and barley. The beer was also extremely carbonated. Also, of note, the combination of the carbonation, fruits and the sweet flavors almost made this beer seem like a wine. The progression of flavors and textures in the beer made this probably one of the smoothest beers I've ever had.

Personally, I see this as my favorite Chimay in terms of an overall beer. I prefer the Blue due to the fact that it is a heavy ale but this is a very, very strong second.

Appearance - 3.7
Smell - 4.1
Taste - 4.3
Texture - 4.7
Overall - 4.2/5

No comments:

Post a Comment