Writers

Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Struise Pannepot

This beer I was not aware of - at all. It's in the top-50, it's in one of my favorite categories of beer, and apparently Fonnie has spoke of it a lot. I just don't pay attention much, I guess. Good thing though - I was hugely surprised by this heavyweight.

Pours a wonderful, nice dark brown with a full, tan head. It was very opaque with sediment like normal Belgian Strong Ales. The smell was just fantastic - sweet, brown sugar; malts, but not spiced from the roasting; and dark fruit notes (apples, plums, etc). The taste just went up from there. Nice notes from apples and sweetness. Almost no taste of alcohol and it had a very smooth, malty taste. Absolutely brilliant. The texture was smooth, but not watery smooth. It was almost silky with the combination of smoothness and sediment. The flow of the flavors was also top-notch.

This was a huge surprise for me. I think Fonnie mentioned at one point before I drank it that it was a top-50 beer but I seemed to have ignored him. I preferred that - it made this beer that much more enjoyable to have not knowing any history behind it. A wonderful beer if you can find it.

Appearance - 4
Smell - 4.4
Taste - 4.8
Texture - 4.6
Overall - 4.45/5

No comments:

Post a Comment